Experience Winter Magic in Hakuba and Togakushi — 3 days 2 nights —
Located in the heart of the Japanese Alps, is a winter wonderland known as Hakuba. About a 90 minutes Shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Nagano prefecture, it is the perfect playground for skiers, snowboarding enthusiasts and snow-lovers. It is perhaps most well-known for hosting the Winter Olympic Games in 1998. The area experiences regular snowfall and the mountain range is often covered in fresh, fluffy powder snow. The blend of traditional Japanese and modern Western culture found in Hakuba makes it a popular spot for both travellers and locals alike.
Just over an hour’s drive from Hakuba is the town of Togakushi. Tucked away amongst dense forest and surrounded by beautiful nature, it is an ancient Japanese Village with the famous Togakushi Shrine. Nestled amongst 900 year old cedars, its natural beauty and long history give a strong sense of peace and spiritual significance.
Through our personal relationships with the local communities and businesses, we provide authentic,
one-of-a-kind experiences found exclusively in the locality.
DAY 1Welcome to Hakuba & View the Northern Alps
- Welcome to the 1998 Winter Olympics town of Hakuba! Be greeted at the station by your personal guide!
- Head towards Iwatake Mountain Harbour, a great spot to view the majestic Northern Alps of Japan.
- Lunch at Hakuba Deli Restaurant, situated at an altitude of 1289 meters. You can enjoy the magnificent view of the alps and a panoramic view of Hakuba’s village from here.
- Enjoy Iwatake White Park, great for young children and non-skiers.
- Put your skills to the test, or learn a new sport as you take on Snowboarding, Skis, or Snowshoes. A day of Fun in the powder white snow of Hakuba!
- Experience Hotspring Onsen in a Private Rotenburo (Outdoor hotspring) separated by gender.
- Have a sumptuous dinner at Mimi’s, an Italian restaurant that some say is the best dining experience in Hakuba
- Head to the villa and have a good rest.
DAY 2Breathe in the Nature
- Enjoy Breakfast at the villa before heading towards the beautiful nature of Tokagushi.
- Snowshoe your way through the forest and take in the spiritual atmosphere of the mountains.
- Walk among the 400-year-old cedar trees that line the ancient Togakushi pilgrimage route.
- Visit the Togakushi shrine, one of the most important places of worship for Shugendo, and absorb the beauty of Kagami pond, a frozen mirror reflecting the day.
- For lunch, try your hand at traditional IRORI (Japanese style hearth) cooking in a 300-year-old establishment, a traditional house built to withstand the wintery land. Be nourished by the local organic hand-farmed rice and the fresh river fish, served in a hotpot, accompanied with warm local Sake.
- Make your way back to the Villa, where dinner will be served.
DAY 3Touch the Culture
- Enjoy Breakfast at your villa
- Check out and leave for Yamanouchi Town to see Snow Monkeys Yudanaka Onsen. Observe the troops of Monkeys who have been soaking in jikokudani hostpring since 1964. People from all over the world come to Nagano to enjoy this unique sight
- Lunch at Obuse, well-known as “Chestnut” town. Many dishes are created using delicious chestnuts. Obuse also has well-preserved historic buildings, many of which are used as shops, restaurants, and sake breweries.
- Visit the Hokusai Museum to view the world famous “Great Wave off Kanagawa”.
- We bid farewell at Nagano Station
- Return to Tokyo with Sweet Memories…
Have a question or want to build a customised itinerary? Feel free to contact us!
- Add on optional tours or experiences
- Request a guide or English-speaking assistance
- Extend your stay in other Japanese cities
- Order special meals
- Assistance with transfers and car rental services
- Purchase train and attraction tickets
- Rent phones and WiFi routers
Prices are subject to changes depending on seasonality, departure dates and to any adjustments made to the basic package. Estimated quotes will be advised upon your request.
“Villa Antelope, Hakuba 1”
A classic ski cabin, it is conveniently located just 3 minutes away from the local free shuttle bus stop that connects to the major ski resorts including Hakuba Happo-One and Hakuba 47. It’s situated just a few blocks away from Echo Land’s main street where you’ll find a variety of tempting restaurants and cosy cafes.
High-speed WiFi, TV with Netflix and kitchen facilities are available. It is the perfect place for a fun winter vacation with your family and friends. From spring to autumn, trekking, biking and kayaking are all great ways to enjoy nature!
The house comprises three bedrooms, each with two single beds which can be converted into one larger bed. Our accommodation is perfectly suited to large, extended families, two families or groups of friends. If your group is larger than 6 people, there is a second house of similar size on the same site.
- Accommodates up to 6 adult guests per villa
- Kitchen facilities (including refrigerator, IH Cooker, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, kettle, dishwasher. Rice cooker not included.)
- Laundry rack
- Bathroom and shower essentials
- Vacuum cleaner
- Outdoor equipment
- Parking lot
- BBQ space
- TV with Netflix
- Private car with driver
- Highway and toll fees (within the itinerary route)
- Villa accommodation
- Daily housekeeping
- Activities included in itinerary
- Entrance fees as mentioned in itinerary
- All meals
- English speaking guide
- Tips and gratuities for guides and drivers
- International and domestic airfare and visa (if required)
- Travel insurance
- Costs arising from flight cancellation/road blockades/change of tour route other than the mentioned route in the itinerary, and other events beyond our control
- Optional tours and experiences
- Personal expenses such as phone bills and other expenses such as drinks, bar bills and laundry not stated in the itinerary